Thursday, February 9, 2012

One Circuit Short of a Classic

Hollywood has run fresh out of ideas so they’re going back to the ‘80s. The nostalgia of “ShortCircuit” that most of us hold on to from childhood is being retooled into the next kid-friendly franchise according to Inside Pulse.
Photo Courtesy of avclub.com
The remake bug already ate "The Karate Kid," so I’m not sure why I thought the robot classic would be safe.

What saddens me most about remakes geared toward the younger crowd is that their generation will probably never see the original. Of course, most of today’s generation, including my own, have not seen some movies I consider classics such as, “Escape from New York,” “The Rocky Horror Picture Show,” “The Shining,” The entire Chevy Chase “Vacation” series, “Thelma and Louise,” “Police Academy,” and even “E.T.”

Blogger "Caffeinated"Clint from moviehole.net does’t have high hopes for the “Short Circuit” remake saying, “Bob Weinstein likens the property to his “Spy Kids” series – and with “Alvin and the Chipmunks” director Tim Hill helming, and the “Dolittle” guy on scripting duties, it’s clear he’s only thinking of the eight-year-olds here (whereas the original film appealed to all audiences).”

The movie won’t be the same if Steve Guttenberg, Ally Sheedy or Fisher Stevens don’t make an appearance. Guttenberg didn’t even want to be in the sequel that came out two years after the original in 1988. I don’t think he’ll show his face in the remake set to come out in 2013.

Johnny Five is meant to stay in the ‘80s where CGI animation and high expectations of realism can’t take away from his simplicity and charm.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you Kelly. I hate when Hollywood remakes great movies from the past. They always seem to do an awful job and I feel like most of the time it is a flop anyway. Honestly, I hope this will be a flop too. That way I will never have to convince myself to see it.
    I'm really glad you are talking about Short Circuit because I loved this movie as a kid. For some reason, all of my friends when I was little had no clue what I was talking about. I'm glad there are other people from our generation that like this movie too.

    ReplyDelete