Monday, February 27, 2012

And the Oscar Goes to…

The hype over everyone’s favorite gold man, Oscar, finally came to a close last night at the 84th Academy Awards. My prediction for best picture was correct, keeping my streak alive.

“The Artist” walked away with Best Picture, putting it among the likes of “Forest Gump,” “The Silence of the Lambs,” “The Godfather” and “Gone with the Wind.” The black and white throwback to old Hollywood was so different from anything else that came out this year, or this decade for that matter, that it makes sense to win such an honor.



According to Thelma Adams of Yahoo! Movies, this is the first time a black and white silent movie has won Best Picture since “Wings” got the Oscar in 1929, the first year of the Academy Awards.

I’m glad Billy Crystal was back to command the stage as host. Anything is better than the train wreck last year put on by Anne Hathaway and James Franco.

Everyone always talks surprises and snubs after it’s all said and done. One would think people wouldn’t let the Oscars surprise them anymore.

Meryl Streep won for Actress in a Leading Role for "The Iron Lady," which created an upset. I’ve got to hand it to Streep, the opening line of her acceptance speech was classic. In her elegant gold dress she said, “When they called my name, I had this feeling I could hear half of America going, 'Oh no ... her again.’” After 17 Oscar nominations and two previous wins, I think it’s appropriate for the Academy to throw her another bone.

I wish George Clooney had won for Actor in a Leading Role, but those who saw “The Descendants” know how great he was and we don’t need an Oscar to prove it. I also wish Martin Scorsese could get another win. But, that’s the Oscars – full of upsets, underdogs, disappointments and surprises.

Full list of Oscar winners

No comments:

Post a Comment